Make Way for Whey

May 28th, 2010

Lately we’ve been making whey – LOTS of whey. Well, I guess we aren’t really “making” whey, we are just collecting it.

IMG_5098

You see, I recently learned that you can make your own cream cheese from yogurt (thanks Nourishing Traditions!) and ever since we have been making homemade cream cheese every week. It tastes so much better than the store bought stuff, it’s cheaper, and it is so easy!

Here’s how you do it:

It’s easy. According to my husband all you have to do is “Get the yogurt out of the whey.” Yes, he thought that was funny. So, start by putting some yogurt in double layered cheesecloth or a paper coffee filter (I actually just use an old t-shirt of my husband’s that I’ve cut up and washed well and designated just for that purpose).  Hang the yogurt over a bowl and leave it for a few hours or overnight (like in the picture). You can also just leave it in a strainer instead of hanging it. Afterwards you will be left with yummy yogurt cheese in the cloth and a bunch of whey in the bowl.

So, what do you do with bowls and bowls of whey? Honestly, I haven’t really known. I use some of it to make my beet kvass, and I plan on using some of it to ferment some vegetables soon. But, I feel like I have so much of it I haven’t been able to use it fast enough.

Whey is something that I realized I know almost nothing about – apart from the nursery rhyme “Little Miss Muffet”, of courses. In all honesty that was the only time I’d heard of using or eating whey. So, of course, I got online and decided to learn all I could about whey.

Here are a few things I learned:

• Whey is good for you! It contains a high quality protein that is easily accessible to the body, as well as all the water-soluble vitamins and minerals from the milk.
  • Whey has been shown to increase lean muscle mass.
  • Whey protein is sometimes referred to as “the most nutritious protein available.”
  • It can increase energy.
  • It may help reduce stress fractures in athletes.
  • It can strengthen the immune system.
  • There is some research to suggest it might help with cancer, particularly prostate cancer.
  • Whey is recommended to burn patients because the quality protein it contains can help speed up the healing of wounds.
  • Whey can cause migraines in some people.

After a little more research I now have a whole list of ways to use whey:

• Make Ricotta Cheese (although I’m not sure that I can do this with the whey left over from yogurt cheese – does anyone know?)
  • Use it as a substitute for the liquid in baked goods (pancakes, scones, bread, etc.)
  • Mix it with fruit juice for a quick energy drink
  • Make lacto-fermented pickled vegetables
  • Use it as a substitute for buttermilk in recipes
  • Add it to soup stock
  • Water acid-loving plants like roses with it
  • Feed it to chickens, pigs or other animals
  • Cook pasta or rice in it instead of water
  • Pour a mixture of 50% whey and 50% water on berry bushes to increase the yield
  • Make smoothies out of it (for example mix it with a banana and cocoa powder)
  • Make Mysost
  • Drink it plain (Whey used to be a popular drink at inns and coffee houses)
  • Take a bath in it

Well, that gave me a lot of ideas… Now I think I’ll go sit on my Tuffet, eat some curds and whey and pray no spiders come along. Speaking of which, does anyone know what a Tuffet is?

Have you ever collected whey after cheese making? If so what did you do with it?

Rejoicing in the journey –
Bethany Stedman

This post has been entered in the following blog carnivals: Fight Back Friday, Food Revolution Friday, Food on Fridays, and Wholesome Whole Foods. Check out all of these links for lots of other wonderful posts all about food.

Never Miss A Post – Receive free updates via RSS or Email

If you like this post please consider buying me a cup of tea (Suggested: $3 a cup)

14 Responses

1. […] 9. Emily @ Live Renewed (Making Homemade Yogurt) 10. Beth Stedman (Make Way for Whey) […]

2. Ann Kroeker says:

Okay, I just read another post about making my own yogurt. And here you are talking about making cream cheese, which our family *loves*. I think it’s time to enter the world of cheese-making and dairy experimentation.

3. Lindsay says:

I love this idea! I’ve been making paneer and drinking the leftover whey just because it tasted good and felt so refreshing – I can’t wait to try making a yogurt cheese :)

4. Anna says:

I have about six jars of whey in my fridge that I made from raw milk that I left out. It is far more pungent than the whey from my raw milk (heated) yogurt! I add it to oatmeal that I soak overnight, and also once made pickled beets (Nourishing Traditions recipe). I’m inspired to dig it out and use it by your list of benefits of whey. I think I will add some to smoothies tomorrow morning. I’ve also been wondering what to do with sour raw milk. I made soaked crepes and pancakes with it, which worked well. I made ricotta cheese once–rather I tried–it was pretty gross. I can’t imagine you could make cheese with whey as it’s the milk solids that make up the cheese and the whey is removed.

• Beth says:

Anna, wow, those are some great ideas for whey. I’ve used it to soak oatmeal too – I totally forgot about that until you said it. I’m not sure about what to do with sour raw milk – I’m guessing you could use it as a substitute for buttermilk in any recipe that called for buttermilk, but I’m not sure. I was also didn’t think you could make cheese from whey, but I found a lot of recipes for ricotta made just form whey – I’m sorry your ricotta didn’t turn out. I love a good ricotta but haven’t ever tried making it – for some reason it seems intimidating to me.

5. Hi Beth!
    Thanks so much for adding your post to Wholesome Whole Foods :)

Btw- this is what a Tuffet is: http://bit.ly/cHFPS4

Whey is pretty cool isn’t it! You know I think you can also use it add to sauerkraut to ferment veggies (I wonder if you could add it to a sourdough starter? hmm.) Or maybe you could add it to a smoothie? That’s a great list of what you can do with whey!

I’ve made ricotta before- I can’t remember exactly how I made it- but I remember adding vinegar to the whey and heating it until it lumps together.

Thanks again for linking up!

• Beth says:

Michelle, Thanks for filling me in on what a Tuffet is ;) good to know.
      I have heard of using whey in a sourdough starter but most of the stuff I read said it wasn’t really the best way to do sourdough so I leave it out of mine – but it is possible. Thanks for reminding me of that.

6. Scatteredmom says:

This sounds really fascinating! I’ve made yogurt cheese before to substitute in recipes for recipes that called for sour cream sometimes, because being lactose intolerant Jake could stand the yogurt stuff better than the sour cream.

I never thought of using it like cream cheese, though. Might be a great substitute for the actual stuff because Jake loves cream cheese,but it doesn’t love him.

• Beth says:

Scatteredmom, I’m glad you found this interesting. We love using yogurt cheese in stead of cream cheese, I definitely recommend trying it and hope that Jake likes it :)

7. Hi Bethany! I collected whey this week for the first time from raw milk which is a much different process, but still just as good and healthy. Yes, I collected the whey to make more sauerkraut which I love! Great article!

8. […] Creative/Food Project: Make Yogurt Crockpot, Whey and Cream Cheese […]

9. Ryan says:

Try making the raisin chutney in Nourishings Traditions, I’ve made it and its really good!!

message