Roundup From Around The Web: Make a difference
My focus of prayer this week of Lent is global – looking at “What are our patterns of thinking toward the rest of the world? Do we regularly pray for other parts of the world? Do we, as the family of God, pray for other believers elsewhere in the world? What do we think our obligation is toward them (the global church) and the rest of humanity?” So, today’s Roundup From Around the Web will be focused on sites that are doing things to help around the world and articles that are talking about people who are making a difference around the world. The first one I want to tell you about is one I think I’ve mentioned before but it stands to mention again – www.kiva.org – this site lets you lend money to a entrepreneurs in developing countries around the world. It’s a very cool concept and I encourage you to check it out.
Here is a story about a young man who was giving a chance to start a business through a micro-loan and now employees 3 others in that business – wonderful pictures included.
This is an interesting story about a man from India and the influence he’s had on his country for Christ.
Prodigal Ruminations wrote on March 2nd a very moving blog about suffering and prayer.
One hit wonder is an organization that is trying to raise money one dollar at a time that will then be given to well-known organizations around the world – 90% of the money raised will go to the poorest communities in developing nations, the other 10% will go towards community development in Australia (where the organization is based).
This organization is trying to “end deaths due to malaria”. They are trying to do this by giving bed nets to the poor as well as participating in research on malaria. I liked that for just $10 you can provide a bed net for a family – it’s easy and a tangible thing that you know will make a difference.
Free Rice is another site that I have mentioned before but wanted to mention again. Basically all you do is play this little vocabulary game and for each answer that you get right they will donate 20 grains of rice to the United Nations World Food Program that will then go to poor families in developing nations. It’s easy and you can make a difference and feed people while you also improve your own vocabulary – I think it’s a really neat idea.
Well, that’s it for now J Hope you enjoy!
Rejoicing in the journey – Beth Stedman